Saturday, January 16, 2010

I'm Not Going to Lie

Saturday, January 16th, 2009 - Day 29

I'm not going to lie and say it has been a piece of cake since Tia's arrival. I knew we would have some challenges and adjustments, but words can't begin to describe how much harder it is to be new parents than we expected. I have a great appreciation for every mother out there, especially those with multiple children. Don't get me wrong, I love every minute and I know it goes quickly when they are newborns - there is no greater satisfaction than becoming a mother. We've worked out a great schedule for sleeping so I get a block of 4 to 6 hours from 8pm until 1am/2am, and Chris goes to bed after he feeds her at 11 and sleeps until he gets up for work or if it is the weekend, he'll sleep in later. We do know it gets easier as time goes on and she'll start sleeping more at night as she gets bigger.

I get to spend every day with Tia and she usually has a fussy time for an hour or so a day about the same time - usually some time between 10am and 2pm. We get through it and I know it is either gas or her rash that she has, etc. She's getting better with her swing and not being held every second...and she really enjoys her floor time after feeding. I don't get much done around the house or on the computer during the day as I would like, but I know she needs my attention and care.

The one thing I can say about Tia that makes me melt is when she smiles - it is the sweetest and cutest thing I have ever seen and makes it all worthwhile. She's beautiful and Chris and I call her our little Masterpiece because that is exactly what she is. It is hard to believe that we are parents and she is our creation. I just keep telling myself to cherish every moment right now because every person I've ever talked to about having children say the same thing about their newborn period going super fast. I believe it because 4 weeks ago, I gave her the first real breath of life and the past month has gone by super fast. Some days seemed so long at the time, but went so quickly - if that is possible.

We all have so much control over our every actions and lives, but when you have a newborn often I feel I don't have much control over her needs because I am getting to know her different cries for what she needs. I wish I could read her mind at times, but as I learn what each cry means, I know I become a better mom. Therefore, I truely believe being a parent is one of the hardest and most fulfilling jobs there is and I truely appreciate all the parents out there!

1 comment:

  1. On behalf of all the parents, (especially single moms) thanks! No one can imagine how hard it is to raise children unless they go through it themselves. I would not trade a minute of it though.

    ReplyDelete