Friday, January 29, 2010

How to Know When It's Okay to Start Exercising

Friday, January 29th, 2009 - Day 42

Some have asked me how do I know I am able to start exercising. Of course, your doctor would be the #1 choice, but since I don't see mine until next week, I wanted to find out for myself. Most people are ready to exercise somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks depending on your body before pregnancy, during and what kind of labor you had. Lie on your back with your head on the floor or bed. Place your hands behind your neck and slowly lift your head toward the ceiling. Holding that position, place a finger just above the belly button and press down gently. You will feel a gap in between the muscles; now see how many fingers (if any) you can get into the space between the abdominal muscles. This is your gap - if it is one finger then you may do all the exercises - if it is two or more you need to be really careful. With a two or more finger gap you can try the exercise above while holding on to your abdomen with your hands. Place your right hand on the left side of your tummy area and your left hand on the right side with your arms crossed over one another, slowly do the above exercise whilst holding your abdominal muscles as you lift your head.

Luckily for me, the week before last I could only fit one finger in my gap in my abs which meant they were okay to start exercising. Of course, I took it super easy last week just to give them a bit more time. I only did my workout video once to 'wake up' my abs and give them a chance to 'activate'. This week, I've done the video every day except one and I'm very proud of myself to make myself do whenever I had a chance with Tia napping or in her swing. I really love the video and think it is a great one for anyone wanting to tone up. It is a post pregnancy workout video, but really you don't have to have had a baby in order for it to work effectively.

Since the 19th of January,I've lost about 6 pounds. I think drinking more water, eating healthier foods, staying away from junk food and exercising has helped greatly. I plan to continue. The only thing I'm allowing myself to do is have a glass of wine here or there. Although, this weekend I'll be having a few cocktails - mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment