Sunday, September 13, 2009

Bonding Time with Baby

Sunday, September 13th, 2009 – Day 182

Written by Baby Daddy

It's neat to see my wife getting bigger because I know our little girl is growing. I do speak to her all of the time and often tell her she is just like her ornery mother! I think she likes to play hide and seek with daddy, but sometimes she kicks and moves a ton. I got some advice the other day about changing diapers from the guy we bought our rings from at the Diamond Shop in Clayton. It is amazing how the news of an upcoming baby brings about lots of conversation about babies. He proceeds to tell me that when I am home with the baby, particularly if I take off for a couple weeks, that I should always change the diaper. To not let my wife change it the entire time I'm there. The reason why is because it is bonding time that baby gets with daddy that he otherwise would not get because daddies can't breastfeed and take off for an entire maternity leave, usually. So by changing the baby's diaper, it is minutes/hours/days spent one-on-one to bond. I thought it was a great way to look at getting extra bonding time with my baby.

1 comment:

  1. i love that changing diapers is considered "bonding time" well, let me tell you how it works at the reinholz residence.

    first of all it's no walk in the park. it typically involves pee everywhere. luckily you are having a girl, so no water fountain action, but still...pee everywhere. then, odds are the baby will spit up at some point once on her back.i don't know why this it, but 8 out of 10 times there is spit up involved.

    so not only will you have a puddle of pee, you will have a puddle of puke forming underneath her neck which will trickle under her back.

    now you find yourself with pee to clean up, puke to wipe up and a onesie to change. therefore, the bonding time has been replaced with frustration and a mental note to speed up the entire process to avoid a wet and smelly mess.

    i'm just sayin : )

    ReplyDelete