Sunday, July 26, 2009

The One Glass of Wine per Day Theory

Sunday, July 26th, 2009 - Day 133

Now I think everyone knows I enjoy having a drink, but now that I'm pregnant I have not had a drop of alcohol and I have no plans on it either. Every person says the same thing 'One Glass of Wine is okay'. My first thought is 'what's the point?' - just one glass, no buzz, no fun, right? But then my second thought is 'who is right on this matter'? I've heard some people say their doctors said it was okay, while other docs said that there is no amount of alcohol that is safe. I wonder which is true and which books are accurate. Honestly, I've read my share of books the past months and they are all different. Some say yes, some say no, some say one glass per night, some say red only, some say never chance it, etc. It is so hard to know. I don't think it would really matter to me - I don't think I'd have one ever if I could, but wouldn't it be great to know the true answer. One friend said to me that if something were to be wrong with her child, she'd always question whether it had to do with having a glass of wine here or there. I thought that was a very interesting thought. I guess you don't want to be playing that what if game the rest of your life, but knowing women - we'd do it anyway! If you have a theory on this or have had wine while pregnant, I'd love to hear about it. I can tell you that a big glass of pinot grigio sounds super yummy, but I just would not bear the risk unless I was 100% sold on the idea by my doctor and loved ones. It's a good topic to ponder....hmmmm

Over the weekend a friend who has had 3 kids told me that with her first two she did not have a drop of alcohol, but with her 3rd kid, she had one glass per night two or three times per week. She said that all her kids are perfectly normal and so she is behind the notion that it is safe and okay to have a glass of wine per day.

2 comments:

  1. I think a glass per month would be more like it. I cannot believe someone would drink 3 or 4 times a week while pregnant. That's just too scary. After all, all of the labels on alcohol bottles warn about drinking while pregnant. There's got to be something to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it crazy that we always want what we can't have? My absolute favorite meal is sushi with a glass (or two) of Reisling...and ever since I stopped on the alcohol with my first pregnancy just one glass does give me quite a buzz. There's the upside :) Anyway, I have really been craving wine lately. Even though my doctor said at my last visit that the baby is now fully developed and I could have a glass of wine every once in awhile, I still think that I will hold out. Our first day home from the hospital my parents and Tim and I toasted our little man with a glass of champagne so I will just keep looking forward to that...

    ReplyDelete