Friday, December 4, 2009

Becoming Baby Wise

Friday, December 4th, 2009 - Day 264

An old friend referred a book to me called 'On Becoming Baby Wise' and I have to say that I love what it is all about. It centers around family relationships and how they have a big affect on how your baby reacts, sleeps, enters the family, etc. One thing I told Chris early in our relationship even before we got married was that one of my goals in parenting is that he and I will make each other a priority. Yes, we'll love our kids to no end but our marriage and relationship comes first and foremost. I have always believed that if a marriage bong is strong, the parenting bond will transcend into our kids nicely because with a household of love, trust and being on the same page - the kids will develop the same foundations of healthy family oriented principals. Now, of course, this is easier said than done and to be honest, it definitely takes both husband and wife wanting the same goals in a marriage and parenting style. But, of course, my wonderful husband agrees with my principles and hopes for the same. Now, I had no idea that these very principles are the foundation of the book 'On Becoming Baby Wise' and let me tell you, it is so nice to read that these principles are proven factors for happy babies. Many couples make their child the center of the family and everything that happens is all about making baby happy, but what you create is a little monster, so to speak. Because they realize early on that they have control over you - when they cry, you respond. When they are hungry - you search for every food they like until they are a happy. When they want something - the parent will do literally anything to ensure they are the happy and not crying. But, if you show the baby early on that the husband and wife bond are the control factor, the baby wants to be a part of that too and realizes that there are 3 people in the family who are equally important. Not baby cries, baby gets meaning it is baby-centered and mommy and daddy respond by doing anything they can until they are virtually exhausted.

I'm only a few chapters into the book and I already bought Becoming Baby Wise #2 Book, but I believe every word of the book and I can't wait to use them. I agree that how you raise your children from day one will affect their entire life. I'm not saying parenting is easy and you can use these principles uniformly. I'm just saying that going in a bit prepared is wise for Chris and I. We both agree that being on the same page with our parenting style is key and we plan to do our best to never let our children pin one of us against the other. But I'm excited and I know that regardless of what happens Chris and I will be the best parents we are able to be to our children!

No comments:

Post a Comment