Monday, May 11, 2009

The First Ultrasound - 8 weeks Day 57


May 11th, 2009

It seems early to get an ultrasound, but I'm actually happy to go in and find out about my little bun in the oven. It was a beautiful thing and I was so excited that Chris was able to be there with me. I had to laugh because I don't think Chris has ever been in an OBGYN's room before. The nurse asked me to go to the restroom before we got started and when I came back she then asked me to undress from the waist down and lay down. Chris had these big eyes and I wondered what he was looking at...I look over at this huge and long wand that he had watched the nurse put a condom on and lube up. He just seemed to wonder what it was for and it wasn't long before he found out. The nurse came in and got me all prepped on the table. She gave me an internal ultrasound and it was absolutely amazing what we saw. She instantly showed us this little round mass that was our baby. It was all cuddled up in the fetal position. She showed us how it was being fed and then she turned up the sound. Chris put his hand on my leg because he saw my eyes well up with tears, it was this very quick heartbeat. I think it was that moment that it really made me think 'I'm pregnant'. She then measured and said that we were 8 weeks along. I was thinking 'what, not six weeks or six and a half, but 8 weeks, wow, that's two months already'. The nurse talked so fast, took two quick pictures and asked us some more questions and we were done. Chris had a smile from ear to ear and he said 'I'm so happy I was here to hear that heartbeat'. I just remember seeing the heartbeat in the little baby on the screen - truely breathtaking.

She said that our due date is set for December 20th, 2009.

After making our official appointment with the doctor in a couple weeks, getting a pregnancy packet and prenatal pills, we were on our way. Walking hand in hand out to our cars, we were both just speechless and smiling. We are going to be parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment