Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What's Up with Your Teeth Mom?

So yesterday, I got braces. Yep, I'm 33 and I now have braces on my teeth, both upper and lower. It has been a day I knew would come because I was supposed to have braces as a kid, but didn't get them because my teeth have always been straight. It is because of the overbite that I was supposed to have them and again the overbite is the reason today.  I grind my teeth at night and my jaw has shifted due to the overbite and excessive grinding.  Now in recent years, my bottom teeth have pushed my top teeth outward causing more gaps between my teeth than previous years. Overtime, not only will my back molars be completely worn down, but my front teeth would have huge spaces between them. Yes, I've had mouth guards and have paid a high price for a few the past several years, but because they are large and obtuse and hurt my teeth, I just could never wear them regularly.  I was going to a great dentist in Clayton for many years and was regular with my 6 month check ups, but since I moved jobs, it was getting harder to drive from Chesterfield to Clayton every six months during work hours.  So I needed to find a dentist out near work.  I stopped going to the dentist in Clayton and for about 3 years, I just did not go to any dentist.  People have always commented that I have white teeth (yay!) and I guess I'll say that I've always had great, strong teeth. I didn't even have a cavity until I was in college and they are pearly white. I have done the Crest Whitening strips here and there throughout the years, but really I think it is because I don't drink coffee, soda, or tea every day...but I could be wrong. 

So yesterday I got the 6 Month Smile System braces which are clear brackets and a tooth colored wire.  They skipped over the 1st month wire and put the 2nd month wire to be more aggressive, which means I should get them off in 5 months instead of 6 months.  No pain getting them on, but just a slight headache that advil fixed from time to time.  They put cement buttons on the bottom of my canines to keep me from closing my teeth all the way.  This is to ensure that my overbite doesn't allow my top teeth to break off the bottom brackets....but I can't close my teeth at all. So eating is a challenge, but I'll make it!  I know it will all be worth it in the end.

Tia doesn't miss a beat, which truly scares me because that is the way I am. I am so perceptive and sometimes I think it is more of a curse, but Tia is just like me in that she sees, notices, and hears everything. When I got home last night, she instantly noticed my braces. She put her index finger and touched them.  Every time I was holding her, she would try to touch them.  Any time she was playing or eating, she'd stop look at my mouth and wait for me to open so she could see my braces. The entire night, the girl was obsessed, lol I just wish I could read her mind, ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment