Thursday, February 4, 2010

Secret for Hiccups

Thursday, February 4th, 2009 - Day 48

When I was pregnant, Tia would get the hiccups 5 or 6 times a day. At first I thought it was so cute, but then a few weeks into it, I was a bit annoyed, and then a few weeks later I was so used to it that I loved it. They said that the chances of her having them often once she was born was pretty high since she had them during pregnancy and they were right. She gets them 2 to 3 times per day. Some days she doesn't have them at all and some days she has them several times. I know it is a mixture of things whether she's been burped, if she still has some air caught along with some other factors. So she is almost 7 weeks old and I just figured out the secret to hiccups. I had read or heard somewhere that if you try feeding them again, they will get rid of the hiccups. Yesterday, Tia had the hiccups and I noticed there was a few sips left in her bottle. I gave her the rest of the bottle and bam, the hiccups were gone. Later in the day, she got them again and I went in and made an extra ounce of milk and fed her and bam, the hiccups were gone. I was so excited.

As the day gets later, Tia gets a little fussier at times and sometimes when she gets the hiccups she gets super mad. In the late afternoon, she got the hiccups again and I tried to refeed her and she was not having any of that. She was so mad from having the hiccups that she wouldn't take the bottle. I kept trying to force it, but she just would wail out in anger. Finally, I said 'fine, you have the hiccups' and let her be. Around 5pm yesterday, she got the hiccups again and again she did not want the bottle, she just kept getting mad if I tried to give it to her, but I was patient and finally a few minutes later, she took about 5 sips and bam, the hiccups were gone. Usually, she'll have the hiccups for at least 15 minutes and sometimes an hour. They shake her whole body and she hates them. She'll go to wail out in anger and is stop short by an hiccup, which in turn makes her even more mad. Some times, she just deals with them and acts like she doesn't have them and continues to play. So we are excited we have a bit of a cure for hiccups. We would always tell her that we wish we could do something about them and now we can! Woo hoo

No comments:

Post a Comment