Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mom's Moving to Thailand

So my mom has had a goal of moving to Thailand for quite some time. Her and her husband Ray bought a house in Thailand about five or so years ago in preparation to move there one day. Due to taxes, high cost of medicare, and lack of retirement, it is very hard to live in the U.S. when you haven't worked for the man your entire life. Ray has worked as a consultant, but that doesn't come with a lot of the secure benefits that normal 8 to 5 hour jobs do. Hence, they have weighed the costs and it is much cheaper to live in Thailand. So the time has finally come where they have made the plunge. They put their house on the market and were aggressive with buyers. Their house sold in a matter of days. So they are closing on Friday, October 14th and so they'll be moving in with us for a few days. Ray got a contract job in Detroit, so instead of moving right away, they'll move to Detroit for a few months and then off to Thailand they will go. They hope to wait until Baby Norris #2 is born and I'm sure they'll come stay with us from time to time until February 5th arrives. Some of you know my upbringing in that I was raised the majority of the time by my dad only seeing my mom for a month out of each year. When I got into high school, I saw her a little more and then when her late husband Ron (Sam's dad) was dying of cancer at 43, she asked me to move to STL to help her with his final days and Sam's upbringing. So after college, I moved to STL and lived with them for a couple years. It has been great getting to know her better over the years and of course spending time with her. I am going to miss her when she has moved, but I'm hoping we'll see her at least once a year or once every couple of years. I am sure Chris and I will get over there at one point after all of these babies are born, but it will be a few years for sure. So I'm enjoying my mom's final days/months while she is in the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment