Thursday, October 6, 2011

Daycare Incident

I just wanted to note that last Friday, September 30th, there was an incident at Tia's daycare. A teacher tried to move Tia out of the way and used her purse to do it. It hit Tia hard enough for her to fall and bite her bottom lip. Tia is perfectly fine and nothing to be alarmed about. We know the teacher and we feel it may not have been the best course of action, but we certainly believe that she did not do it on purpose to intentionally hurt Tia. I picture it as her hands were full and Tia was using her favorite word 'no' and wouldn't get out of the way. The teacher probably was trying to shoo her out of the way and underestimated the weight of her purse. Now, I'm an optimist who tends to see the positive sides of situations and people. In my heart, I have to believe that the teacher would never want to intentionally harm Tia...in fact, I've seen her so loving to Tia. She is one of Chris's favorites. She is young and always bubbly when we are there. The downside of this situation is that the teacher got fired and the police also arrested her with a charge of child endangerment. The daycare was just following protocol and doing what the Department of Family & Child Services would do, etc. An investigation has brewed and we've been contacted by DFCS several times the past week. They even went to see Tia, made sure the daycare was following protocol, etc. My honest opinion is that the teacher already got fired, probably feels terrible about what mistake she made, and she is young and going through enough. I am praying that she doesn't not get the record for child endangerment that can hurt her the rest of her life. As a parent, I know I've done a few things that were mistakes and childcare on a daily basis has to be full of little incidents. I rolled over and elbowed Tia in the forehead the other night. She didn't cry and it didn't hurt her, but I felt bad still. It just happens. Now I also realize that Tia is just fine from the daycare incident and had she had to go to the hospital or something worse happened, my view on the situation would be totally different. I want to believe that the girl made a mistake, she got fired because of it and does not need a permanent record reminding her of this. We love the daycare and we know they've done everything they can to ensure Tia's safety. I just wish this situation would not have happened. But it is what it is and we have to carry on. Please pray for that teacher who lost her job!

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow! That seems a bit extreme for punishment. Maybe something had happened before? Or maybe it's just bureaucratic, but bumps and scrapes and accidents happen to kiddos all the time with parents, family, or daycare. Glad Tia's okay, but sad for her now ex-teacher.

    ReplyDelete