Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hand Foot Mouth Disease

I have to admit that I have never heard of Hand Foot Mouth disease until this week. Tia was super cranky last weekend and wouldn't eat much, but we just summed it up to possibly teething or a growth spurt. However, a few days later we found out what she had and I have to say that it is a horrible thing. On Monday, I got a call from daycare in the afternoon that Tia wasn't herself. That she was laying on the cot just crying after her nap and she wasn't being her normal diva-like self. So I left work early and went to pick her up. She seemed fine when we got home, but I did notice that she was eating/drinking more careful that before. I wasn't sure what that was about, but with Tia, I just sum it up to her being her little cute self. Then Tuesday, I got another call and this was early in the day. They said they think they know what is wrong with her. They saw some sores in her mouth and on her feet. They said they think it is HFM, but they don't know for sure. So I called the doctor and they seemed confident that it was exactly what the daycare said. They gave me some recommendations on how to soothe her pain, but they pretty much said that there is nothing we could do for her because this was something that just had to run its course. We did our research and I asked around and this is something that is very common among kids and the daycare circuit. Chris was able to pick her up and head home. My mom was able to watch her for an hour when Chris left to go bowling and I was on my way home. That night she didn't eat a thing. When she'd drink, she drink from the very tip. Then she slept horribly which made us sleep horribly. The next day, I took off of work to watch her and had planned to work a half day and have my mom watch her the 2nd half of the day. But Tia was extra cranky, extra clingy, and I was not going to leave Tia with my mom in that condition. So I just took off the whole day except an hours worth of work to get things finalized for meetings the next day. I had some pretty big meetings in the morning and needed to get a good night sleep. I just did not know how she'd sleep. She was up a few times and I was beside myself tired, so I asked Chris to go and sleep in her room so I could get some sleep. He kindly did so, but said he didn't sleep but 45 minutes the whole time. I promised to do Tia duty the next night.

No comments:

Post a Comment