Thursday, December 9, 2010

Our Little Soccer Player

Most of you already know that Chris and I are big soccer lovers. I played soccer my entire life including 15 years as the only girl on the guys soccer team. Of course, I was a huge tomboy growing up and didn't really grow into my own until later high school.  I played soccer in college and the minute I moved to St. Louis, I signed up to play on any team that would take me. I had my own team for years and it wasn't until a few years ago that I stopped playing. I even played at the Show Me State games with a select team and every year, we were in the top three.  Chris didn't have the luxury of playing soccer until later in life, but he played several nights a week as an adult for years prior to meeting me.  When we met, it was always a dream of mine to be married to someone who I played soccer with on a regular basis.  And although we did get a few leagues in together, ultimately, we both have been soccer-less for the past couple years.  I tore my PCL (posterior knee) playing kickball in 2008 and Chris tore his ACL (anterior knee) playing soccer in 2009.  We were definitely a match made in heaven. But we have both talked about possibly getting back into it one of these days.  In the meantime, we have Tia to tend to and I think she is already developing a soccer forte.  The minute we found out she was a girl, we drove to Babies-R-Us to buy our first item for her and we decided on a pink pair of puma soccer shoes as her first official shoes.  Boy did she look cute in them, but of course she's too big for them now.  In Chicago, earlier this year, I bought her a big plush soccer ball from IKEA. She loved that think, but probably too big to really play with. The other night I saw a softball sized plus soccer ball and I had to get it for her.  I never thought it would be her new favorite toy, but she loves the thing. She'll throw it and then chase it down. She chews on it and she loves on it (so cute).  Yesterday morning, I accidentally let her keep in when I put her in her car seat. Normally, I'll take it away from her and put it back in the car, but she must have snuck it from me.  Apparantly, the teachers were saying that it was the HOT toy and Tia would get mad if anyone played with it.  She was guarding it with her life and ultimately, they had to take it away because it was causing such chaos amongst the classmates. My first thought was...yeah, she is going to be a defender like her mommy! lol  But I just love that she is loving the soccer ball. I told her the other night that she may now realize it yet, but her two requirements from Momma-bear are (1) playing soccer and (2) playing the guitar!

No comments:

Post a Comment