Wednesday, March 14, 2012

No Sleep

One thing is certain when you have kids and that is that the parents get no sleep for the first few months. Right now I've hit my breaking point. She is almost 7 weeks old and let's say that I haven't had a solid 3 hours of straight sleep since she was born aside from when we had a night away from the kiddos. It's been taxing to say the least, but I know that this is just a phase. Plus, she's had a rough start and I will of course give her some slack there. Now that the RSV has worn off and she is back to being healthy, I am ready to get her on a routine. While on RSV, we were feeding her on demand because of her trouble eating, sleeping, breathing, etc. So it was too hard to get her on a routine, but this week, we think she has been super snacking and not eating fully when it is feeding time. Because of this, she doesn't sleep as well and she overeats, gets bloated/gassy/constipated, and then is overtired. Last night I had a melt down. I've been pretty laid back this entire time and super patient, but last night I didn't get a wink of sleep because nothing I did would get Lexi to go to bed....nothing! It was wearing on my and after the 4th hour of trying, I just was getting so frustrated. Finally after 6 hours, I got her to go to bed and I got a couple hours at best, and then all day today it was the same thing - she wouldn't sleep for anything. So I read up on what we did with Tia and I remembered the routine we got her on that worked. I know it is going to take some work, but I'm ready to get her on a regular schedule. Using the Babywise principles of feeding, wake time, nap time in that order every three hours, I'm ready to get Lexi on that regiment. Tia did well on it and I remember it did take some time, but worked great. Lexi does not sleep more than 2.5, maybe 3 hours at a time, so any improvement to get her to sleep better at night is welcomed. So today, I started her on a routine and I'm going to work hard the next couple weeks to get her accustomed to it. I know it will be an adjustment, but we need to get her off the snacking, over eating, and feeding to sleep pattern. Before I go back to work, this is a must. I will have to be 100% dedicated to her 24/7 for this to work, but I am confident, I'll have success if I can stick to the routine. She is so sweet and I just love kissing on her so much - but I will admit my frustration and sleep deprivation has made that a bit blurry the past few nights. So best of luck to me and Lexi as we start on a new routine. I wanted to start this right when she was born, but her jaundice and then RSV hindered those plans. Now that she is in the clear, we can get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment