Friday, March 23, 2012

Lexi's Sleep Habits

I know I have been complaining an awful lot about Lexi's sleeping habits. I guess we were somewhat spoiled with Tia who was sleeping more than 5 or 6 hours at a time through the night and it seemed she napped better too. Both girls had a rough start, with having jaundice and having the bili bed for their first week of life at home. Then Tia always had ear infections, while Lexi had RSV. So it hasn't been convenient to work on their sleep habits. Regardless, Tia was doing a lot better by 8 weeks than Lexi.

But I'm going to shed some light on the topic and say that although Lexi isn't a great napper during the day unless you are holding her while walking the whole time, she is turning out to be a pretty good sleeper during the night time. NO, she is not sleeping more than a few hours at a time, but once we get her to bed at night, she does great with waking up, feeding, and then right back to bed. Actually, she never even opens her eyes from 10pmish until 6pmish. So I do have to say that I appreciate that. She still makes a ton of noise, which makes us laugh. It is so hard to explain unless you've heard it. I'm going to record it one of these mornings so you can see the extent of her loudness. Honestly, she is louder than anyone I've ever heard. Not sure why all the noise, but it is still somewhat cute.

To give you an idea of her schedule during the night, here was last nights feedings:
8:30pm feed, drank 3.5 oz, went to sleep at 9:30pm after a few attempts to put her in her crib
12:30am feed, 2.5 oz, right back to sleep
3:00am feed, 4 oz, right back to sleep
5:10am feed, 5 oz, right back to sleep
7:15am feed, 4 oz, right back to sleep
When I hear her start to move around about a half an hour before she eats, I'll make the bottle and have it ready. This way, she never has to cry out when she is ready. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes to make the bottle to get it ready usually about a half an hour prior, then I am sleeping but awake enough to hear her movements and noises change from normal sleeping ones to I'm getting hungry ones, then it takes about 20 minutes to feed and change her. Then I put her down and sort of watch her sleep for at least 10 or 15 minutes to make sure she doesn't spit up. And it always takes me a while to fall asleep anyways and hard to do with all of her noises. So you can see why I don't get much sleep ;)

During the day, the girl does not want to nap. She yawns, has sleepy eyes, but just does not know how to fall asleep. I will rock her, swaddle her, put her down sleeping some times, and nothing! She wakes up the minute she knows I'm not holding her. I do my best to put her down drowsy, but not yet asleep to sleep train her, but she has nothing of it. I some times have to put her down 5 or 6 times before she'll fall asleep and then within a half an hour, she's up screaming for me to come get her...I hope this changes!!! Regardless, she is my baby doll!

No comments:

Post a Comment