Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sleeping Unswaddled

So we finally decided it was time to let her sleep unswaddled.  For the past few months, we've tried it here and there and she either never went to sleep or was super cranky the entire next day.  She is getting so big and we know we can't swaddle her forever.  So after she got over her virus, we decided to make her sleep by herself unswaddled the past week. Chris and I are taking turns with putting her to bed and sleeping in the spare room next to her to get her if she cries or loses her pacifier.  The first night, I hardly slept because she tossed and turned losing her pacifier and crying out for it. Every time she would fall asleep she would put her face straight down into the mattress. Of course that scared me to death and I would turn her head and she would get mad. I was a tired wreck at work the next day, but I was praying that this would be a week or less task at hand.  When Chris watched her through the night, he hardly slept because he was fearful since she was again putting her nose to the mattress and trying to sleep that way.  Last night was a huge accomplishment because she went right to bed and slept on her side. In the middle of night she woke up only one time and I put her on her back, gave her her pacifier, and she went straight back to sleep. In the morning, she was still out like a light and I was able to make her bottle, shower, and I still had to wake her up to feed her.  She slept great!  Let's pray this means she is getting used to it and it will be less work than we originally thought. After reading blogs and forums of other parents who were also trying to wean their babies off of swaddling, but weren't very successful.  They say it typically takes about 7 days to change the habit of a baby, but Tia has slept swaddled since birth.  Her crib is super comfortable and because she is so active, I think she tires herself out. I guess we'll see. She is super cute when she sleeps too. My favorite is when she is in the fetal position.

No comments:

Post a Comment