Friday, June 10, 2011

Getting My Master's

This has been a super busy week for me. I started my Master's program through Franklin University. They are located in Columbus, OH and offer an in-class or online Master's of Science Degree in Marketing & Communication.  Up to this point, I really had no desire to ever go back to school. In fact, I really could not imagine myself being a student again. However, with the changing of times with baby boomers exiting the workplace and Generation Y exiting college to find they can't get jobs so they just stay in school to get their Master's degree, it has had me thinking. Plus, I have been doing Marketing and Communications for well over 10 years now, but I would like more education on trends of today and how we can apply them to the company I work for. The online aspect is attractive to me and it was more reasonably priced than other programs.  Not to mention is is in the area of study that I'm interested in.  An MBA seems so nebulous to me because at my age, I don't need to take courses in Accounting or Economics...I need more Marketing and Communications classes.  So this is a perfect fit.  The hardest part for me is that I've never been a great test taker unless it was math. I can write poetically and in the style I like, but if I have to write in APA style, I tend to get a little more self conscious about my writing.  I have read so much the past week and completed two papers yesterday.  The writing was easy, it was knowing the style that was hard for me. I think as I write more, I'll get the hang of it.  This program is definitely going to take a lot of my time, but if I work hard, I should complete it within 16 months. My goal is to complete it before Tia is older and into sports and after school activities.  So I'm back to being a student again. Crazy!

1 comment: