Thursday, May 3, 2012

Whooping Cough

Lexi has had a terrible cough all week. It first appeared last weekend when she was at her grandma's. Kathi called to tell us about her terrible cough. One where she was having a hard time catching her breath and her face would turn a bit red. I just figured it was her normal morning congestion. Daycare let us know that tuesday she didn't sound that great and on Wednesday they called because they described the very same cough that Kathi had. We hadn't witnessed it yet, but later Wednesday night, Chris heard it and then during the night I did. I heard it again in the morning. I didn't want to take any chances since she has had RSV, so I decided to take her into the doc. They got her in that afternoon and I picked her up and took her in. First thing, the girl weighs 13 lbs 3 ozs. The doctor said her right ear was cleared up, but her left ear still has an ear infection. She asked why we were there and I explained the coughing throughout the week. She said that Whooping Cough has been reported heavily in the area and she wanted to take a test to make sure. They put these long wires down Lexi's nose to test it. I hate when my babies cry! They said they will send it off to the State Lab and will wait for the results. The doc said that if she does have it, it becomes a big issue with the State Health Dept. Just to be safe, the doc gave her some Whooping Cough medication that will also help with the ear infection. So now, we just wait and see how she does. My poor little girls have both had their share of ailments in their first year of life. I am sure it will make them stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment